Sunday, March 23, 2008

Talking Baccarat Blues

Here is another blues lyric I wrote in the late 1970s. I believe I wrote this about a year before "Left Lobe Blues", which was the subject of yesterday's posting. Last week I watched R.W. Fassbinder's delightful 1979 film "Die Dritte Generation" ("The Third Generation") for the first time. The narrator of "Talking Baccarat Blues" evolved from a mind set similar to that which Fassbinder portrays. If you haven't yet seen The Third Generation you should put it onto your Netflix queue. With that preamble, here is the text of:

Talking Baccarat Blues

Now what’s the use of me working all day
When I’ve got me a lady in the Red Brigades,
She hits rich folks, she sends me the jewels,
She thinks I’m hunting ducks, I’m gambling with fools...
But I tripled our money,
Spent it all on Rembrandts, Caravaggios, Vermeers, Titians, Courbets,
You see it was time to redecorate our townhouse.

No comments: