Saturday, March 22, 2008

Left Lobe Blues

Early in the week a friend sent me the link to a fascinating 18 minute video of a neuroscientist talking about the stroke she suffered. In it she talks about the differing capabilities of the left and right lobes of the brain. Yesterday, while having lunch with another friend at Mamoun's Falafel on St. Marks Place, we discussed this video, and I recited a brief blues lyric I wrote in, to the best of my recollection, 1978 or 1979:

Left Lobe Blues

I’ve got the left lobe blues,
Why is my right lobe feeling all the joy?
I’ve got the left lobe blues,
Why is my right lobe feeling all the joy?
I sure do like this mistycism
But right reason is a smarter toy.

If you haven't seen this video, I highly recommend it: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/when-a-brain-scientist-suffers-a-stroke/

No comments: