Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Illustration for "Danube Blues"


John Stanford and I recorded my song "Danube Blues" several weeks ago. I wrote the lyrics in 1972 but my written copy got lost over the years and I forgot one stanza. So on the morning of the day we recorded it I wrote a new stanza, using as a model one stanza of Lowell George's song "Willing" and transposing the locus of activity to Central Europe and points south: "I've been from Dubovnik to Djibouti/Darmstadt to the Dardenelles/I've ridden every kind of horse that's every been bred/I fought twenty-three duels/And left twenty-three dead." Yesterday John and I were working on drawing for the band's (Jersey Petroleum) website. I had no idea where I was going with this drawing until it was nearly finished, at which point I realized it was an illustration of the last two lines of this stanza.

No comments: